WA Severe Weather Warning: Damaging Winds


Click here to view alerts the EWN.com.au desktop website.
Share this: Share this on Facebook Share this on Twitter

Source: Bureau of Meteorology

For people in Eucla and parts of Goldfields and South Interior districts.

Issued at 8:45 am Friday, 19 April 2019.

Damaging winds are possible through the Southern Interior, Eucla and the adjacent Goldfields districts on Friday with the passage of a trough.

Weather Situation: The passage of a deep trough through the southeast of WA ahead of a strong cold front during Friday is expected to cause DAMAGING North to Northwesterly WINDS and a risk of blowing/raised dust with winds averaging 50 to 60 km/h and peak gusts to around 100 km/h which could cause DAMAGE TO HOMES AND PROPERTY.

The risk of DAMAGING WINDS will continue until late Friday afternoon.

Hot temperatures to the east of the trough combined with the strong winds will lead to Severe to Extreme fire dangers in the South Interior and Eucla districts on Friday [Refer to Fire Weather Warning: http://www.bom.gov.au/wa/warnings/].

Thunderstorms developing along the trough may also produce DAMAGING WINDS, most likely from late Friday morning through to late Friday afternoon.

Locations which may be affected include Cocklebiddy, Eucla, Eyre, Forrest and Rawlinna.

The Department of Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* If outside find safe shelter away from trees, power lines, storm water drains and streams.
* Close your curtains and blinds, and stay inside away from windows.
* Unplug electrical appliances and do not use land line telephones if there is lightning.
* If boating, swimming or surfing leave the water.
* Be alert and watch for hazards on the road such as fallen power lines and loose debris.
* Keep away from flooded drains, rivers, streams and waterways.
* Be careful of fallen trees, damaged buildings and debris.
* Be careful of fallen power lines. They are dangerous and should always be treated as live.
* Assess your home, car and property for damage.
* If damage has occurred take photos and contact your insurance company to organise permanent repairs.
* If your home or property has significant damage, like a badly damaged roof or flooding, call the SES on 132 500.


Support and unsubscribe information